Tuesday 25 February 2014

Task Three: Children's Cookbook


- For my double-page spread I used this recipe from CBeebies.

- The typefaces that I adopted here were SassoonPrimary, JuneGloom and Gills Sans (bold).
SassoonPrimary was used for the large body of text; the instructions and the text below the did-you-knows. This font is specifically designed with young children in mind, as it looks friendly, so I knew it would work. For the titles I adopted the more flamboyant JuneGloom, as its curvy appearance also seemed friendly and playful. Gills Sans Infant is another common font used in children's books, so I used Gills Sans bold for the step titles, as I thought it complimented well with the other typefaces.

- Keeping in mind the young audience, I used bright, primary colours throughout my design. I didn't use many colours but kept to similar shades so that there appeared to be a strong, consistent visual language running throughout these pages.

- My use of collage brings texture to the double-page spread, as well as a fun, playful element. I think that this will appeal to children.

- I feel that my images balance out the amount of text required for this brief. At first, I struggled to find a layout that didn't make the cookbook look overly busy. I played a lot with the "You Will Need" section down the left-hand side to achieve a more balanced effect.

- The design definitely flows between the two pages, as the same visual language has been put into place. The colourful boarders also keep a consistent theme. Perhaps to enhance the flow even more I could have placed an image spreading across both pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment